Tuesday 9 December 2014

Confessions of A Diaper Bag

A Day in the Life of Zac Holshausen…


Our day begins slowly at about 6:00 am, when we hear the first impatient calls of our little boy down the hall. He wakes rather cheerfully, but then he wants to play!! At about 7, he demands his breakfast, and the day begins.

Now the one piece of baby kit that I never leave home without is my diaper bag… well almost never ;)
True, if my diaper bag could talk, it would probably tell you, “I’m awesome!! I’ve totally replaced her hand bag and she takes me Everywhere!”  

But if you chatted long enough, and it started feeling like it could share some secrets, it would also be able to tell you a whole lot about me that (if you’re not a mom, and maybe even if you are) might cause you to wrinkle your nose ;)  Things like “I’ve had medicine and baby wash spilled in my pockets… more than once, and sometimes together! I have carried dirty nappies – yes, sometimes for a day or so – only for her to remember when she discovers them and she’s out somewhere with me and she can’t throw them away!! And when we go to the beach, I feel like I’ve carried the whole beach home with me, lol!”

But I hope that despite the complaints, my diaper bag would tell you how much fun we have.  We never go anywhere without books, blankets, nappies, dummies and of course Zac’s favourite teddy bear, Goodie.  I’d like to say I’ve never forgotten his bottle or food, but that would be untrue! We also always try to remember a change of clothes… for me and for Zac, but that too has not always gone according to plan ;)  And since Zac Loves to unpack this particular bag, there are often things that I’ve thought were in there that weren’t when I needed them!!

I am truly grateful that I get to spend my days with Zac, as I work from home and am able to have him home full time.  He sleeps at 9:00, and that’s when I madly rush around trying to accomplish my tasks before I hear him calling me at 11.  At 12 Zac & I sit down for lunch, and I have never met a person who LOVES Bovril like this child!!

We work in the garden, or have a swim, or run errands (Zac loves shopping!) until 14:00, when he sleeps again.  Sometimes I manage to get more work done, and then he wakes at 16:00.  If dad’s home, we pack a sundowner and head to the beach or go for a walk.  


After supper, Zac heads straight to the bathroom as fast as his little knees will carry him.  He Loves bathtime.  At around 19:00 is bedtime for Zac, and it all starts again in the morning ;)

A few things that have surprised my husband (and even myself) as they have come out of the bag have been:
- A squashed banana
- A broken tub of yoghurt
- The lost house keys
- One of my husband’s epaulettes
- And of course the stinky nappies… although that really should no longer surprise me, it still does, lol!

Yes, my diaper bag tells a lot about the Holshausens – even the sneaky chunks of biltong hidden in there for Zac by his dad and the bag of wet wipes that Zac emptied one by one and I stuffed back into the packet so as not to waste ;)  But we do have fun, and even on the days when I’ve forgotten this essential bit of kit, there’s evidence of how we improvised ;) ;) … you should see my car!!

I would like to thank Debbie for sending me this beautiful snippet of their lives - I truly loved reading this piece! If anyone would like to submit a piece on Confessions of a Diaper Bag, please pop me an e-mail and you could be featured on the blog.

Positive Vibes & The Mandatory xoxo
Hali

No comments:

Post a Comment