Sunday 23 November 2014

Trends that are here to stay ~ And we're not complaining!

From last year through to this year, and even continuing to next year (as per fashion weeks trends forecasts) we can see a pattern of a continuation of trends. I love seeing new twists on the older trends!

1. Skirting Sensation

The skirt trend has been rocking the fashion circuit since 2013 and I have loved it ever since (well, technically; since the 1950's but we can look passed this since it did fade out for a long while!) I was pregnant for most of 2013 and there are some trends that pregnant women should not step near (well, this pregnant woman, atleast!) so my midi-skirts came out to play at the first post-pregnancy opportunity (see post on Fabulous vs Fashion Faux Pax for details on this look) 

A midi skirt is basically a skirt that ranges anywhere from slightly below the knee to slightly above the ankle. The style can range from anything from a pencil skirt to a flare. More recently, we have seen flare skirts on the rise and I am becoming obsessed with the flare as a stark opposition to the pencil skirt. You can add interest to your look by choosing a skirt with a bold fabric, texture or even incorporate tulle or net. Pair it with a loose tucked-in shirt or more fitting top for a looser skirt. Check out my post on my No-Jeans wardrobe challenge on how I styled a black pencil skirt down for a casual Saturday. Pictured below is my look for my cousins engagement last night. I paired a cream midi skirt with a black top and black heels with a pop of colour and added on the 3D flora necklace.


Skirt - Mumbai
Top - Quiz
Shoes - Soviet
Necklace - Ziba Styles

As I was perusing through Instagram, I came across these skirting looks which I love. Pictured in the first frame is Shaheeda Mahomed (Instagram@shaheeda18) - she sent social media into a frenzy with this single look and it's not hard to see why ~ this outfit is the epitome of elegance! 


Pictured below is Zaakira (Instagram - @ladyzaa) in a cute and quirky ensemble - I love this funky take on the long skirt ~ I am drawn to this look because of the edgy style and as always, Zaakira has fun with fashion! www.princessofjozi.com


Lastly, pictured is Carlinn (Instagram - @superficialgirl) in some of my favourite of her skirting looks. She is always on point and I love how she plays with pastels and achieves the perfect balance of colour.


I will be continuing to follow the skirting sensation trend right through to the end of Summer and then some; I'm definitely not complaining on the continuation of this trend!

2. A Pop Of Colour is the New Black


T-Shirt - Zara 
Jeans - MNG
Shoes - Centerpoint

We all are aware of how important a little pop of colour can be to transform an ordinary outfit into extraordinary. Monochrome is here to stay so naturally the pop of colour isn't going anywhere! Add it in on your shoes, your handbag, your lipstick or nails or your accessories and most importantly, have FUN with this trend! 

Pictured below is Blogger Sydne Style's interpretation of the pop of colour,I absolutely LOVE her style, she never get's it wrong (Instagram @sydnesummer)



3. Statement Jewels

As seen on the runways of New York, Milan and Paris; statement necklaces and earrings are here to stay. Choose either a statement necklace or statement earrings to pair together with a simple outfit. If I wear a bold neck piece I keep my earrings simple or skip them altogether to avoid an over-the-top look and vice-versa. I am definitely an accessories girl and have my organiser filled with all my favourite jewels - call me crazy but I love just looking at them every time I pass by my dresser; I purchased my organiser pictured below from Dash and Pancache (Instagram ~ @dashandpanache) Check out my two favourite online jewelry boutiques for the most beautiful statement jewels Ziba Styles ~ Instagram @zibastyles and So You The Boutique ~ Instagram @shopsoyou 





4. Winged Eyeliner

This has been around for a long time and will continue to be around for a VERY long time to come. Refer to my post on Winging It for more details. 

Check back soon for trends that I am NOT so crazy about - Trends that should please go away and stay away ~ Coming Soon.

Positive Vibes & The Mandatory xoxo
Hali

No comments:

Post a Comment