Monday 10 November 2014

Wardrobe Challenge #1 ~ Hello November, Goodbye Blue Jeans


I've decided that at the beginning of every month I am going to do a wardrobe challenge ~ just for fun! I am a blue jeans kinda girl. I wear blue jeans atleast 3 times a week and would love to break the habit ~ so for my first challenge, I decided to say hello to November and goodbye to blue jeans (just for a week!) and now, at the end of the week I will share my outfits of the week with you.

I own tons of pants, skirts and different coloured jeans some of which have been lying around untouched for months (one or two for years!) because once I have put all my outfits together I think to myself "I'm sure this would look better with blue jeans." This challenge was not easy for me and by the last day I almost cheated (but I didn't!) but I wanted to prove to myself that I could go a week without them, and had lots of fun putting together my outfits. I'm glad to say that I survived no blue jeans week (just barely!)

Take a look at my outfits of the week -

DAY 1 - Cool & Casual

A typical week begins with Moms and Babes with my baby girl at 9am on a Monday morning - I have to keep it cool, casual and comfortable. I wore a loose black jumpsuit with a low yellow pointy heel and a statement necklace for that pop of colour. I left my hair in natural waves, unbrushed even! (I can say and really mean - I woke up like that)



 Jumpsuit - Forever 21
Necklace - Lovisa
Shoes - Vincci

DAY 2 - All White Everything

I do not usually wear white, it's my least favourite colour so this look was definitely a few steps out of my comfort zone. Although I usually shy away from white - I love the all-white trend; so I definitely had the perfect excuse this week since I was staying away from jeans, which is what I usually would have paired this shirt with. I wore pink wedge heels for a little pop of colour. I pinned my hair back and left it all down - the outfit was crisp and clean and needed an equally unfussy hairstyle to match. If you're rocking the all-white trend this season, you can choose to add a pop of colour with either your shoes, your handbag or statement jewellery.


Shirt - Primark
Jeans - Pepe Jeans
Shoes - Rage
Sunglasses - Top Shop

DAY 3 - Feeling A Little Military

I am crazy about the military look ala Balmain Paris and this denim jacket gives just the right amount of military to my outfit. I purchased this jacket a while ago, but have only worn it once before in an all black look, I liked how the tan jeans gave it an entirely different look. I wore my hair all back in a severe high-ponytail-plait which I chose to compliment the severity of the military look. Threw on some Ray Ban Aviators to finish off the look.


Jeans - Zara
Jacket - Denim Co.
Shoes - Aldo
Sunglasses - Ray Ban
Bag - Fendi

DAY 4 - Leopard Lovin'

Durban weather is unpredictable, and the weather on this day was a bit too chilly for a Spring-going-on-Summers-day. I had originally planned to wear a padded lightweight jacket, but once I threw it on it was a bit too warm, so I ditched the jacket and decided to sport a long-sleeve high-necked tee and pair it with one of my favourite leather leggings and pointy-toed kitten heels. I wore my hair all up in a top-knot (partially to compliment the high neckline of the top, but mostly because it was a bad hair day)


 
Top - Zara
Leather leggings - Stradivarius
Shoes - Nine West

DAY 5 - Kimono Crazy

I am slightly obsessed with kimonos and will be squeezing them in right until the very end of Summer. I chose to pair my black fringe kimono with my green zebra-print jeans and black heels. I wore my hair in a loose plait, keeping the whole look casual and chic.


Jeans - Zara
Kimono - Zip Code
Shoes - Aldo

DAY 6 - Skirting Sensation

I am all about pencil skirts, but often find it challenging to find one at just the right length and not too short - I love this black skirt as it can be dressed up or down and the length is just right. I chose to dress it down on this day, as it was a casual market-hopping kind of day. I threw on a sleeveless denim shirt, tied it at the waist and chose to pair it with nude flat sandals, my favourite pearl necklace and some nude sunnies. I wore my hair down and kept it loose because I knew the wind would just mess it up anyway!


 
Skirt - Zoot
Denim waistcoat - Denim Co.
Sunglasses - ASOS
Necklace - Shop So You Boutique

DAY 7 - Please Just Let Me Wear Jeans!!

In all honesty, I almost caved and just wore my high-waisted blue jeans on this day. But I held out and put on a pair of black leggings instead. Paired with my kimono and beautiful Kaleidoscope necklace, I definitely would have been happier wearing it with jeans, but it was just a casual beach day, so it passed!


 
Leggings - Lily Whites
Kimono - ASOS
Sunglasses - TopShop
Necklace - Ziba Styles

Thank you to everyone who sent in their pictures for this challenge, here are some of my favourites pictured below -

Monica Garzola of the Sassystylista blog sent me this picture of her in this lovely red dress paired together with nude heels and some beautiful gold midi rings


Fawzia Docrat of the accessory haven Ziba Styles sent me this beautiful picture of her in London, rocking a warm and chic Winter look.

My sister, Bibi Fathima Joosab participated in the challenge with me for a few days this week. I love her chic style (and not just because she's my sister!) Obsessed with mirror aviators for this season, and Bibi is just rocking those beautiful blue shades!




















I hope that you all enjoyed reading this as much as I enjoyed putting these looks together, I am not quite at the point where I can say goodbye to my favourite blues just yet, but I learnt that I can definitely put my other untouched piles of pants to some good use. I think my readers should help me out with my next wardrobe challenge - Perhaps a no-black challenge? Or no heels challenge? I would love to hear your ideas - pop me an e-mail or comment on my Instagram post and let me know. With a very dramatic "CHALLENGE ACCEPTED" I will accept one of your challenges - looking forward to seeing what you come up with!

Positive vibes & The Mandatory xoxo
Hali

No comments:

Post a Comment