Monday 27 October 2014

Haute Hijabi



Hijab is defined as the head covering worn by Muslim women. Nowadays, Hijab is not only an expression of modesty and religion, but also an expression of fashion. The Hijab has become the perfect accessory to compliment any outfit, and we have seen thousands of different colours and styles and more recently many different ways to adorn the Hijab. I have to say that although I do not adorn the Hijab full-time (one day, God-willing) from turbanisation to Arabian, I am loving the Hijabi trends. 

My inspiration from this post comes from my cousins Nikah reception which was held last week Friday- all the women adorned abayas and everyone looked so modest and elegantly beautiful. I observed so many different ways of draping the Hijab and I loved it!

Social media is alight with pictures of fashionistas and hijabistas and Instagram is no exception. As with clothes, the Hijab is all in the way you style it - As I was perusing through my Instagram, I picked out some of my favourite "Hijabistas" as we have come to know them in recent times - I love how these ladies incorporated high fashion with Hijab!

 I love how Omaya Zein wears these printed pants with solid colour scarves, the drape of the scarves are amazing and her sense of style is cool and casual yet so feminine and fashion forward at the same time.

Perhaps one of the most famous Hijabis today, Dina Tokio's (designer, stylist and blogger) adornment of the Hijab as well as her overall style is remarkable! I love how she wears a long kimono over a short/tucked in top to still preserve the element of modesty. I love that she is a risk-taker both with her dressing style as well as with her style of draping the Hijab. She is definitely a trend-setter in all aspects.


As I was glancing through hundreds of Hijabistas on Instagram, I came across some pictures of this lovely lady. Although I do not know her personally, her style and funky take on the turban trend attracted me. Her bold accessories are beautiful and I especially love how she belted her oversized cardigan to give it a bit of shape whilst still maintaining a modest look.
The gorgeous Waseefa Hutton Adams caught my eye for the attractive bands that she adorns under her scarf. These bands are an accessory in itself and she has paired them fabulously with each outfit! I love how her leopard print shoes and scarf co-ordinate perfectly with the head band and a fabulous cobalt turban over; monochrome matchies with her headband and bag in the middle picture and the pop of peach on her band and bag in the third. These subtle pops of colour and style make a world of difference to an outfit and I have to say that I am SO impressed with the thought that went into each outfit. Not to mention that gorgeous nude blazer - absolutely chic!


The lovely Hijabs by Hanan caught my eye for her simply elegant look - she wears the traditional method of draping the Hijab in such a chic and effortless way. A style inspiration for those who are not quite into the turban trend or any of the more risky was of draping the Hijab.


Closer to home, these beautiful friends of mine always adorn the Hijab with such grace, I can't help but admire their style! Pictured on the right is recent (but amazingly fashion-forward) Hijabi Basheera Kathrada, and on the left is Raeesa Paruk, who exudes elegance with every outfit.



I never had to look too far when searching for haute hijabis, as my very own mom is one of them. She has always been a lover of fashion, and that did not change but rather was enhanced when she became a Hijabi a few years ago. From trends such as joggers to kimonos to elegant evening dresses - she ties them in amazingly well with her Hijab. She now uses the Hijab as the perfect accessory; from different colours to different techniques of tying the scarf, she is definitely a personal inspiration to me and a first-hand affirmation that you can easily maintain being fashion-forward and modest at the same time - it's all in the style and the drape!

For more pictures and Hijab inspirations, follow the lovely ladies pictured above (each picture states the names of their Instagram profiles) 

For Hijab Styling in the Durban area - Follow @stylemyhijab ~ From day to day drapings to special occasions such as weddings, Nikah receptions and pre-marital functions. Contact Shamya Joosab on 083 786 0997 or style_my_hijab@yahoo.com

Have a look at my very own Hijab styled by Style My Hijab, for my cousins Nikah reception last week -

 

I hope that this post can affirm that Hijab and high fashion can definitely go hand-in-hand; as with everything in the fashion industry, it is all about the way you style it and carry it. Happy Hijabi'ing, fashionistas. Until next time...


Positive vibes & The Mandatory xoxo
Hali

No comments:

Post a Comment